"I HAVE ALWAYS IMAGINED THAT PARADISE WILL BE A KIND OF LIBRARY. "

Jorge Luis Borges

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

THRILLER 2      Edited by Clive Cussler
Over 500 pages, 23 short stories by 23 authors, with introductions to each story by Clive Cussler! Fabulous!

Review #15
This is the sequel to 2006's Thriller: Stories to Keep You Up All Night.

This volume features an impressive line-up of crime writers. All are members of the International Thriller Writers, the organization that came up with the concept for the series. In this book, most of the familiar authors leave their established characters at home and strike out in new directions. So, while David Hewson delivers an exciting story, it isn't about his Roman detective, Nic Costa. In his introductions, Cussler points out that thrillers are not an easy genre to define, as it has more to do with pace than with plot. But that's good news for readers, who will enjoy such diverse story types as international intrigue (Jeffrey Deaver's The Weapon), suspense (Hewson's The Circle), and even a blend of political thriller and science fiction (Kathleen Antrim's Through a Veil Darkly).

I enjoyed most of the tales. I was only familiar with 4 of the 23 writers, (Jeffrey Deaver is on my favorites list), but, now I have 19 new writers to explore! A few have language you might object to but, you can always bypass these stories if you want to!

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I just recently discovered Clive Cussler. I really enjoyed his book that I read. Thanks for reviewing this book. I'll have to put this one on my TBR list, as I love reading thrillers and mysteries. Thanks for stopping by my place, Just Books. Have a great day!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cussler's books! However, Thriller 2 is not written by him. Cussler briefly introduces each of the short stories. There are 23 writes and 23 stories.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm always thrilled when someone comes to see it!

    ReplyDelete