"I HAVE ALWAYS IMAGINED THAT PARADISE WILL BE A KIND OF LIBRARY. "

Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, September 8, 2011

“A Time To Kill”  By John Grisham
A Time to Kill 
2011 Book Review #111

 Library Journal Review

In this lively novel, Grisham explores the uneasy relationship of blacks and whites in the rural South. His treatment is balanced and humane, if not particularly profound, slighting neither blacks nor whites.

Life becomes complicated in the backwoods town of Clanton, Mississippi, when a black worker is brought to trial for the murder of the two whites who raped and tortured his young daughter. Everyone gets involved, from Klan to NAACP.

Grisham's pleasure in relating the Byzantine complexities of Clanton politics is contagious, and he tells a good story. There are touches of humor in the dialogue; the characters are salty and down-to-earth. An enjoyable book, which displays a respect for Mississippi ways and for the contrary people who live there. 

My Thoughts:  It is a well written and honest book.  I found it depressing which, I suppose, is the goal of a book written about depressing times!  It was made into a movie which I didn’t see and I think I’m glad!   

No comments:

Post a Comment