"I HAVE ALWAYS IMAGINED THAT PARADISE WILL BE A KIND OF LIBRARY. "

Jorge Luis Borges

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

“Blacklist”  By  Sara Paretsky
   A V.I Warshawski Novel
Blacklist (V.I. Warshawski Series #11) 
2011 Book Review #110

Library Journal Review

A dead reporter, a missing Egyptian boy wanted in connection with terrorist activities, and an elderly woman convinced that an intruder is in her family’s ex-manse, are all elements of Paretsky's 12th novel featuring Chicago private investigator V.I. Warshawski.

As V.I. looks into these peoples' lives, she discovers connections among them. She uncovers a story of betrayal and secrets that span several generations and involves Chicago's wealthiest families, the Red Scare, and the House Un-American Activities Committee hearings of the 1950s.

As always, V.I.'s determined pursuit of the truth ensures, at least, a few heart-stopping moments. This may be Paretsky's most complex novel to date. It will have particular resonance post-9/11, as readers recognize more easily what it was like for past generations to live in fear.

Partial  Booklist Review

In her essay,  ‘Writing, Speech, and Silence ‘,  Paretsky speaks frankly about free speech, including the devastation caused by the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) and the implications of the Patriot Act on individual freedoms. The topic is central to her latest V. I. Warshawski mystery, a stellar entry in a celebrated series, which offers a provocative history lesson along with very contemporary commentary on loyalty and betrayal and how the past shapes the present. 

My Thoughts:  The second half of this book is very thought-provoking.  'Blacklist' was written 2  years after 9/11 and touches on issues we are still dealing with today.  This book follows and is an extension of Paretski’s book “Total Recall” written in 2001.  (I read this book long before I started my Bookshelf Blog, so, it is not reviewed here.)  I think that even though it is a fictional mystery, it's worth reading just for the lessons it teaches!  It's also a good mystery!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment