"I HAVE ALWAYS IMAGINED THAT PARADISE WILL BE A KIND OF LIBRARY. "

Jorge Luis Borges

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

THE GREATEST STORIES NEVER TOLD
 Review #26

THE HISTORY CHANNEL asked Rick Beyer to create a series of “history minutes” marking the millennium. The stories in this book are out shoots of that request. Some originally appeared on THE HISTORY CHANNEL, some did not.

I have been reading this book for the past 6 months…over and over and over. My memory is such that I tend to forget things…so I had to go back and read them again and again! I love this book!

The Greatest Stories Never Told consists of 100-2 page tales about little known facts in history!

I am at a lose for words so…I am including the first paragraph of the book here.

“History is filled with unpredictable people and unbelievable stories. Consider: The Pilgrims landed in Plymouth because they ran out of beer. Annie Oakley almost shot Kaiser Wilhelm before World War I. Three cigars changed the course of the Civil War. The stethoscope was invented by a modest French doctor reluctant to put his ear to a female patient’s bosom. An Italian priest perfected the first practical fax machine in 1863. Teddy Roosevelt is the father of football’s forward pass. And, believe it or not, actress Hedy Lamarr not only appeared in the movies’ first nude scene, but also, later, patented an idea that formed the basis for cell phone encryption.”

If that doesn’t make you want to read this book….nothing ever will!

I was unable to find this book in the library but, amazon.com has them priced from $14.00 to used books for $4.00.

Rick Beyer also wrote:

The Greatest War Stories Never Told

The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told

The Greatest Science Stories Never Told

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds very interesting. I may have to look this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son would love this book! Thanks! I will have to see if my library has it and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I love this book too.
    I don't know where you are, but it is not in the Louisville Library. If you don't find it in your library, try amazon.com. They have cheap used copies.

    ReplyDelete