"I HAVE ALWAYS IMAGINED THAT PARADISE WILL BE A KIND OF LIBRARY. "

Jorge Luis Borges

Monday, August 23, 2010

“Mr. Monk is Cleaned Out”

BY LEE GOLDBERG


Review #139

Budget cuts have become a problem at the San Francisco Police Department and, unfortunately, Monk is the victim, once again, when his services are no longer affordable. Although his assistant, Natalie, goes to work trying to find new jobs for both of them, Monk continues trying to solve a murder case for the SFPD without pay, thinking he can live on his savings for a while.

When Natalie’s paycheck bounces, and Monk is evicted from his apartment for non- payment of the rent, he discovers that all of his life savings are gone. Seems he had turned them over to Bob Sebes, a man now under house arrest for running a giant Ponzi scheme that has collapsed. Now, Monk has no job, no savings and no home!

When one of the key witnesses against Bob Sebes is murdered, Monk immediately decides that Sebes must be the killer despite the fact that Sebes is wearing a GPS device at all times and his house is surrounded by the media.

Is Monk right? Will he solve the case even though he is no longer a consultant? And can Natalie find the two of them a job that they can both keep?

I loved the TV Series and I loved this book.

1 comment:

  1. The MONK tv series was the only thing I've watched on TV for decades. I don't watch TV but 2 people within a week told me I would like it so I took the hint! I have all but the last season on dvd and will get it for Christmas this year.
    I didn't know this new book was out. I love the books also. Thanks for letting me know about it.
    Amy Barkman

    ReplyDelete