"I HAVE ALWAYS IMAGINED THAT PARADISE WILL BE A KIND OF LIBRARY. "

Jorge Luis Borges

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"JUST AS I AM"    By Virginia Smith

Review #41

I apologize for stealing some of other people’s words to describe this book because I can’t think of any better way to describe it.

“When purple-haired Mayla Strong struts down the center aisle of Salliesburg Independent Christian Church, the bug-eyed congregation strains to get a peek at her pierced nose and lip.” She has come to be baptized. “Determined to make her heavenly Father proud, Mayla's sincere and often hilarious attempts to let Him change her from the inside out takes her into some difficult and sometimes, painful places.”

While dealing with the older folks who disapprove of her hair color and piercings, her long time friends who can’t believe she has become ‘religious’ and a new friend who is in a hospital dying of AIDS, Mayla manages to grow in faith and wisdom and always in a way that is distinctly Mayla.

I…Love…This...Book! I…Love…Mayla! I laughed with and at her. I cried a river with her! I saw members of my family in this book and I couldn’t put it down!
AND…guess what…there is another Mayla book out (Sincerely Mayla) and another one on it’s way in May!

1 comment:

  1. Carolynn, thank you for the review. I, too, love Mayla. She's one of a kind, isn't she?

    You're right about Sincerely, Mayla already being out. Unfortunately, there's not a third Mayla book ... yet.

    ReplyDelete